Thursday 3 November 2011

Day 307: Back To My 50mm

My 17-40mm...no sorry, it's not mine, haha! THE 17-40mm lens is due to be returned to it's owner soon, ready to spend a wonderful week in Paris, so I've been trying to wean myself off it and get back to my 50mm. I absolutely LOVE my 50mm and it's ability to go down to a super low aperture, and work in low light conditions, which the 17-40mm can't do! That was it's one major downfall; f4's not too bad, but it's not as yummy as f1.8!

However, I think my 50mm is going to need some time to forgive me for leaving it in my camera bag so much this past couple months, as it wasn't playing ball tonight! Getting the focus right in an aperture as low as 1.8 is tricky business, and when the subject is a super gorgeous baby who's loving being able to walk it's even tougher, so I'll let it off for the right image, but the one on the left shouldn't have been a problem! He was being a typical male; in his underwear with his PS3 controller, but I don't think even one part of the image is in focus. Ha. I've had to sharpen it up big time in Photoshop! Maybe the lighting was just that little bit too dark...or maybe I need to upgrade to a 1.4!

Anyway, I've probably lost a few readers by this point, apologies to those who have no idea what I've been talking about! These images are a perfect example of content over quality. I loved Finlay in his totally awesome towel (I may have bought it for him), and then that photo of him and the PS3 controller just cracks me up. I asked Dave if he wanted a game of Fifa...and I was totally serious! Ha. But they only have one controller, so instead we played Hogs of War, which Sarah stole from me the other year and I've been craving it every so often since! We used to play it a lot; Sarah, Ali Richard, and myself. And my bazooka aim was pretty darn good . Not so much tonight...ha, but Sarah and I ended on a draw after 4 games.

Fascinating blog post tonight wouldn't you say!? Happy Thursday :)

1 comment:

  1. I'm glad even a pro finds it difficult to get the focus right on her 50mm! I take pics with mine that look fab on the LCD screen then am disappointed by how unsharp they are :)

    Any time you feel like tutoring...I am up for it!

    Judy x

    ReplyDelete