Wednesday 2 July 2014

Day 104/365 - Ketchikan...where it rains 300 days a year, but not today!

I've just looked at the front page to see the questions you've (Sarah) asked me, to see if I've answered them at all, and the first one I saw was 'Did you say hello to the Captain?' Well...how have I not mentioned THAT story? Our Cabins are on deck 8, at the front of the ship, which is right behind the bridge, and the rooms for a few important people. So when we were walking to one of our rooms one day the Captain was going in to the bridge area through the door directly opposite our rooms. He spotted me coming along the corridor and said "Good morning", and I said "...Hiiii..." in a ridiculous #ohmygoodnessitsthecaptain girly kind of voice and smiled. I felt like an idiot when I went in to the room and told the others. Matthew found this ridiculous and hilarious. Then, later in the afternoon, when we were heading out of one of the rooms, I was ahead of Matthew along the corridor and I heard a door open so turned, and there he was again, our beloved Captain, so I started to laugh (not much better than my morning response) and the Captain said "What?" as he walked towards me, so I said I'd been thinking about my inappropriate greeting and I should have said "Good morning, Captain."...he was like "Oh, no, no. It's good to see you...you obviously crazy young girl(!!)". Okay, he didn't actually say that last part, but Matthew and I are pretty sure he was thinking it! We got a wave from him a couple times when we saw him on the view point on the bridge from the balcony, so really I think he loves me! *hahahaha*

But enough about that. Matthew and Calum went on a King Salmon Fishing trip in Ketchikan today, and Maggie, Sandra, Mary and myself went on tour to a Native Alaskan village and a lumberjack show (see above)...as you do. Both were very good! At the native village they did a native dance for us, told us some words in Tlingit, and told us about their totem poles, and how they hand carve all their clan houses, etc. It was great. At the lumberjack show I got given a piece of wood they had sawn off during the competition "between America and Canada" when Canada won a point, as I was on their side of the audience. It's a fair chunk of wood, so I felt a bit ridiculous taking it back to the ship with us, but then I got it signed, so I felt I couldn't just leave this piece of memorabilia in Alaska!

Unfortunately the boys didn't catch, or even get a bite of, anything on their fishing trip, so they were hugely disappointed. It was a beautiful day to be out on the water, at least, if it had been raining, in this place that gets rain 300 days of the year, then they would've been miserable. But instead they came back tanned!

We saw our formal night photos after dinner, and I was much happier with them this time round :) Wayhay! So I got a couple copies of them. They were all lovely; no cringe worth poses or bad focusing, yay!


No comments:

Post a Comment