Wednesday 2 July 2014

Day 103/365 - Glacier Bay!

Today was a sea day, travelling further north from Skagway to Glacier Bay. So named because it used to be a glacier, and now it just has various smaller (but still huge!) glaciers feeding in to it.

They opened up the bow of the ship so we could go out for a better view of the bay and the glaciers, and served us pea soup to warm us up. Very yummy!

We got up a lot closer to the glacier you see above than the image shows (it's taller than the ship!), but Maggie and I went for a pedicure (once again, a new experience for me!) at 11 so we viewed it from the Spa window while the ship was beside it. I snapped a photo on my phone through the window, and then when we were finished I speed walked to the back of the ship to snap this photo as we sailed away. Can you spot the smaller tour boat in the photo?

It's very hard to find your travelling companions on a cruise ship when you've not made plans to meet at a certain place. I found Calum on the top deck, enjoying the sunshine, and then Maggie found us a little while later, but none of us had any idea where Matthew was! I thought about going to find him, but if he was walking around too we could have been constantly just missing each other, it's a big area to cover! Just as I was about to get up, he appeared, wayhay! #cruiseshipproblems #nexttimewewillgetwalkietalkies

Matthew and I had a game of table tennis after lunch, after Matthew went down to Reception on deck 1 to get the bats and balls, as they weren't there for some reason...which we found out when 'Show Host Joel' appeared and informed us that Glacier Bay is protected water and all sports are banned in the bay...in case the table tennis ball smashes the Lido windows, lands in the water, and gets stuck in a whales blow hole. Matthew found this ridiculous, but rules are rules! I'd rather not be fined £100,000 if the Rangers who were on board for the day spotted us doing it.

The Captain had told us there was a possibility of seeing whales around 3pm, when we were heading back out of the bay, and he was right! We didn't see any leaps into the air but we saw A LOT of fins bobbing up from the waves, and some tails flapping up. I didn't cry this time, I was wishing I could get in the water with them to see them properly, although the water probably wasn't clear enough for that...or warm enough!

Today was definitely a scenic tour day, with lots of see on either side of the ship. We saw a lot of sea otters (Matthew's new favourite animal), chilling on their back's, just bobbing along. Apparently when they find a mate and they're chilling in the water like that, letting the tide/current take them wherever, they hold hands so they don't drift apart. How cute is that?!

Tonight was the night of our second, and final, formal night, the night for my crazy, orange, maxi dress to make it's debut! Maggie made an appointment to have her hair put up, but there was only a 30 minute slot left for the day, so I wasn't able to get an appointment. I was quite alright about that, thinking I would just go for my standard messy bouffant and bun. It worked! And despite the MAJOR lack of effort from basically everyone else on the ship, rather than feel awkward and overdressed, I LOVED wearing my beautiful, floor length, with train, halter neck, with sash, gown (bought from TkMaxx)! And I got quite a few compliments from ladies passing by.

We attempted formal photos again, including some in front of the hideous marble type effect backdrop, and we were pleased with the posing of these ones so look forward to seeing them and really hope they're in focus *I didn't mention before that we weren't pleased with the quality of our first lot of formal photos, but I don't want to go on about that. Matthew bought one that was actually in focus, but I don't like the way I was asked to position my legs, so I only took the little copies from it, ha.*

The show in the theatre was a comedian called Brian Bradley, from America, and he was absolutely hilarious! He had a pan for his set, obviously, but it was all improve so it was very impressive! I imagine Matthew will be looking him up on Youtube (have you done that yet, dear?), when we're back to civilisation, because he loved it! We were all laughing our heads off actually.

All in all, another fabulous day on the Pacific Ocean :)

No comments:

Post a Comment